Dr. Trainor’s Philosophy
“People need to know how much we care, before they care how much we know.” I am here to partner with you on your health journey and to be on your team through the challenges you are facing. I believe uncovering and treating the underlying causes of dysfunction, are the key to finding true health and healing. Your body, mind and spirit are capable of achieving and maintaining optimal health. Your healing is possible, and together we will find lasting solutions that meet your unique health goals.
What Makes Dr. Trainor Different
Growing up in Upstate New York, Dr. Trainor was first introduced to concepts of naturopathic medicine by his Irish Granny, who taught him simple, natural ways to address just about every common ailment. Brian went on to become a Division 1 athlete, and was recruited to attend the United States Military Academy at West Point, where he majored in kinesiology, became a 3x USA Triathlon All-American, and won the 2012 USAT Collegiate Half-Ironman National Championship.
While serving as an Army officer, Dr. Trainor faced multiple health challenges, including a fractured femur, a traumatic brain injury, and an autoimmune diagnosis of ulcerative colitis. These obstacles led him to search for approaches beyond conventional medicine. Dr Trainor met a Naturopathic Doctor outside of the military medical system that was able to help him begin his healing journey.
As his own health has improved, he has become passionate about helping others diagnosed with autoimmune conditions, and other military members or veterans diagnosed with unseen illnesses. Dr. Trainor aims to offer others the same hope that Naturopathic medicine has offered him.
Brian is a 2020 graduate of Bastyr University California. In his final year of school, Brian served as the Naturopathic Medical Student Association (NMSA) President. He was also named NMSA Public Policy Fellow, and through this helped to lead the AANP’s Task Force for Veterans affairs and has volunteered as a Whole Health Facilitator for veterans at the San Diego VA hospital. Brian is active in a faith-based organization called the
Navigators, and enjoys outdoor activities such as hiking, spike ball, ultimate frisbee, and line dancing in his free time.
Integrative | Personalized| Preventative
Dr. Trainor believes strongly in personalizing treatment plans for each individual, and aims to combine his professional knowledge with your unique values, needs and goals. As the center’s newest resident, Dr. Trainor will spend extra time researching the latest and best combination of naturopathic and conventional approaches to optimize your health and wellbeing.
Areas of Emphasis:
- Military & Veteran health: addressing and treating the unique needs of service members and their families
- Performance optimization: going beyond treating sickness, to support athletes, military and anyone looking to perform at their best.
- Functional gastroenterology: irritable bowel syndrome, IBD, microbiome medicine.
- Men’s health: optimizing hormone production and balance for men of all ages.
- Brain health: addressing neurotransmitter balance, mitochondrial function and the mind-body connection for students, professionals and others looking to upgrade their function at a cellular level.
1st Year ND Residency – The Center for Health and Wellbeing- San Diego, California – 2020-21
Naturopathic Medical Doctor – Bastyr University – San Diego, California – 2020
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology – United States Military Academy – 2013
Continued Medical Education
- Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) – Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice, Cardiometabolic, Biotransformation, Gastrointestinal and Immune Advance Practice Modules. IFM certification projected fall 2021.
- Craniosacral Therapy – Levels I, II, III and IV.
- Visceral Manipulation – levels I, II and III.
- Applied Kinesiology – 100hr course.
- Advances in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, UCSD 2018 & 2019.
- Scripps Natural Supplements Conference – 2018, 19, 20.
- Advanced IV Therapy
- Chelation Therapy
- American Medical Student Association – HEART-IM 2020 Alumni – Integrative Medicine training with twenty 4th year MD and DO students from around the country. 1st ND student to be accepted into the program in over a decade.
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- California Naturopathic Doctors Association – Board of Directors 2020-2022
- Academy for Integrative Health & Medicine (AIHM)
- New York Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Gastroenterology Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Naturopathic Medical Student Association